Monday, May 30, 2011

Weekend at Parkinson ave


The weather is becoming very wintery indeed here in Adelaide which has made my daily walks increasingly difficult for all the obvious reasons but also because cold air gives me extremely painful earaches.
So that my thighs don't suffer the consequences of said earaches I invested in this pair
of vintage rabbit fur earmuffs from Etsy. The got their first test run yesterday and thankfully kept my ears ache-free as well as looking pretty cute!

The weekend also contained copious amounts of soy lattes accompanied by this almond and apple cake


I use this almond cake recipe a lot and vary the fruit I use according to the season.
The following recipe is for a very large cake using a 29cmx23cm baking dish but you can half the recipe and use a normal sized tin if you wish. It is so very moist and gets better as the days go by, tasting its best on 
day 4. It has never lasted more than 5 days in our house but I suspect it would keep for a week or so.
It is of-course, Gluten and dairy free :)

~Almond cake~

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees for a fan forced oven. Line tin with baking paper.
Beat together 250g Macadamia or Rice bran oil with 350g caster sugar and seeds of 1 or 2 vanilla pods until creamy. Add 4 large eggs and beat in well.

Gently fold in 100g rice flour, 100g potato four (sifted), 2tsp guar gum, 2 tsp baking powder, 150g almond meal and 2 pinches of salt.
When combined fold in 8tbs of soy milk.

Now you can add fruit of choice. My favorite is Pear with honey and walnuts but other good combo's are Plum (grate lemon zest into cake for this one and fold through pistachio nuts) Pineapple and ginger, mixed peaches and nectarines are nice too... whatever tickles your fancy.
Cook in the oven for 50 minutes or until the center of the cake is quite firm. 20-25min for the smaller cake.

I also use this almond recipe to make lime syrup friands which are absolutely divine! 
My mother in law calls it angel food.


I also re-arranged my display as you enter my home to accommodate my latest painting.
I doubt I will keep it there for very long as I prefer a more feminine look for this space but its nice to have a change.





The tins were given to me from my Nana when I was a teenager and I still love them.
It helps that my favorite dog is the cocker spaniel.


We scored this awesome record player from friends that are moving


How cool is it?! We're yet to see if it works but it looks great either way.

Hope you give the cake a go and find a lovely space in your home to enjoy it in :)
~E xo

7 comments:

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

You're such a great artist, that painting is fantastic. I love it - do you know him? He has a look of teen favourite Taylor Lautner (from Twilight).

I love the whole display actually - fingers crossed the record player works.

b and e said...

Thanks guys :)

Lakota, the painting is of a friend of mine but I'm sure he'll get a kick out of you thinking he resembles Taylor Lautner!

Unfortunately I got rid of all my records a while back, thinking I would never get a record player. So now I have nothing to test it with :-/

Oh well.. good excuse to go Op shopping!

Gianella Peralta said...

you have a very homey abode :)

http://gianellaperalta.blogspot.com/

Lucy, Dear Fish said...

Oh my gosh that cake looks so yum! And that painting is awesome!

b and e said...

Hey Leesh,
loving all your posts, the painting is awesome! I absolutely LOVE your record player - have you got a record to test it yet - if not Ill send you one! We will have to make sure it doesn't break in the post though. Sadly I have all my records, but the player is in bathurst in storage! Seems we have opposite problems!
Miss you - no baby yet :-(
Love Bellaxxx

b and e said...

Hey Leesh,
loving all your posts, the painting is awesome! I absolutely LOVE your record player - have you got a record to test it yet - if not Ill send you one! We will have to make sure it doesn't break in the post though. Sadly I have all my records, but the player is in bathurst in storage! Seems we have opposite problems!
Miss you - no baby yet :-(
Love Bellaxxx

b and e said...

Thanks everyone xoxo

@Bella, no record yet! Don't worry about sending one, I'll find one soon xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...